How to Make Apricot BBQ Sauce: Easy Homemade Recipe
Welcome to my kitchen, where I am going to share with you my secret recipe for a tangy and sweet apricot BBQ sauce that will take your taste buds to the next level. As a food writer and chef, I have experimented with many BBQ sauce recipes, but this homemade apricot BBQ sauce is by far my favorite.
This simple recipe is perfect for those who have an abundance of apricots or just love the taste of fresh fruit in their sauces. The best part about this homemade sauce is that it uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
So, whether you are grilling pork chops or making a chocolate chip cookie recipe, this versatile sauce is a great addition to any dish. Trust me; once you try this easy apricot BBQ sauce, you will never go back to store-bought again.
In this article, I will guide you through the process of making this delicious apricot barbecue sauce recipe step-by-step. From the ingredient list to serving and pairing suggestions, I’ve got you covered. So let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Apricot Sauce Recipe?
If you are a fan of BBQ sauce recipes, then you are going to love this homemade apricot BBQ sauce. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors in this sauce is what makes it stand out from the rest.
The use of fresh apricots and apricot preserves gives this sauce a natural sweetness that is hard to resist. The addition of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar adds depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
This simple recipe is perfect for those who want to add a little bit of personal information to their dishes. You can adjust the spice level by adding more or less cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes, depending on your preference.
The best part about this homemade BBQ sauce is that it contains no artificial flavors or preservatives. You can feel good about serving it to your whole family, knowing that it’s made with natural ingredients.
So, whether you are grilling chicken, pork, or beef, this tangy apricot BBQ sauce will take your dish to the next level. It’s also great as a dipping sauce for fries or as a marinade for tofu or vegetables.
Trust me; once you try this easy apricot BBQ sauce recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought again.
Before we get started on making this delicious apricot BBQ sauce, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need. Don’t worry; this recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
– Fresh apricots: You’ll need about 1 pound of fresh apricots for this recipe. Make sure they are ripe and juicy for the best flavor.
– Apricot preserves: This adds extra sweetness and depth to the sauce. You can use any brand of apricot jam or preserves that you like.
– Tomato paste: This gives the sauce a rich, thick texture.
– Soy sauce: Adds a savory umami flavor to the sauce.
– Worcestershire sauce: Adds depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
– Apple cider vinegar: Adds tanginess and helps balance out the sweetness of the apricots.
– Maple syrup: This natural sweetener adds a touch of sweetness to the sauce.
– Garlic clove: Minced garlic adds a subtle kick of flavor to the sauce.
– Lemon juice: Adds brightness and acidity to balance out the sweetness of the apricots.
– Cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes: These add a little bit of heat to the sauce. Adjust according to your preference.
– Chili powder and dry mustard: These spices add depth and complexity to the flavor profile.
– Pinch of salt: To enhance all of the flavors in the sauce.
You’ll also need some olive oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, dried apricots, liquid smoke (optional), and an immersion blender or food processor to blend everything together into a smooth consistency.
Now that we have all our ingredients ready let’s move on to making this delicious homemade apricot BBQ sauce!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all our ingredients ready, it’s time to start making this delicious apricot BBQ sauce. Follow these simple steps, and you’ll have a homemade BBQ sauce that will impress your friends and family.
Step 1: Prep the apricots
Start by washing and pitting the fresh apricots. Cut them into small pieces and set them aside.
Step 2: Cook the sauce
In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chopped apricots, dried apricots, tomato paste, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, dry mustard, and a pinch of salt. Stir everything together until well combined.
Step 3: Simmer the sauce
Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the apricots are soft and tender.
Step 4: Blend the sauce
Once the mixture has cooled down to room temperature (about 10-15 minutes), use an immersion blender or food processor to blend everything together into a smooth consistency. If you like a chunkier texture in your BBQ sauce recipes, you can skip this step.
Step 5: Adjust seasoning
Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning as needed. You can add more salt or spices if needed.
Congratulations! You’ve just made your very own homemade apricot BBQ sauce. This versatile sauce is perfect for grilling pork chops or chicken breasts or as a dipping sauce for fries or vegetables.
Now that we’ve made this delicious homemade BBQ sauce let’s move on to some variations you can try!
One of the great things about this homemade apricot BBQ sauce is that it is incredibly versatile. You can adjust the recipe to your liking and create different variations of the sauce that will suit your taste buds.
If you like your BBQ sauce on the spicier side, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the mix. For a smokier flavor, add a few drops of liquid smoke to the sauce.
If you prefer a thicker consistency, use apricot jam instead of apricot preserves or puree fresh apricots in a food processor or with an immersion blender before adding them to the sauce.
For those who like their sauces on the sweeter side, add more brown sugar or maple syrup to the mix. You can also experiment with different types of vinegar such as apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar for a tangier taste.
If you want to make this homemade BBQ sauce even more unique, try adding some dried apricots to the mix for an extra burst of natural flavors.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to making variations of this simple recipe. So don’t be afraid to get creative and make this apricot BBQ sauce your own!
Serving and Pairing
This homemade apricot BBQ sauce is a great addition to any dish, whether you are grilling meats or vegetables. The tangy and sweet flavors of the sauce pair well with a variety of foods, making it a versatile condiment that can be used in many ways.
For meat lovers, this apricot BBQ sauce is perfect for pork chops or ribs. The sweetness of the sauce complements the savory flavors of the meat, creating a delicious balance of flavors.
If you are looking for a vegetarian option, try using this sauce as a dip for roasted vegetables or as a topping for veggie burgers. The sweetness of the apricots will add an extra layer of flavor to your dish.
This homemade BBQ sauce also pairs well with rice dishes such as stir-fry or fried rice. The tangy and sweet flavors of the sauce add depth to the dish and make it more flavorful.
If you are feeling adventurous, try using this apricot BBQ sauce as a marinade for chicken or tofu. Letting your protein soak in the sauce before cooking will infuse it with delicious flavor that will take your dish to the next level.
No matter how you choose to use this versatile sauce, one thing is for sure: it will become a staple in your kitchen. So go ahead and experiment with different serving and pairing options until you find your favorite way to enjoy this homemade apricot BBQ sauce!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating:
One of the best things about this homemade apricot BBQ sauce is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. This means that you can have a delicious homemade sauce ready to go whenever you need it.
To make this sauce ahead of time, simply prepare the recipe as directed and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When you are ready to use it, simply take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
If you have leftover sauce that you want to store for later use, simply transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When you are ready to use it again, simply take it out of
Chef’s Tips for Perfect Results:
As a chef and food writer, I have learned a few tips and tricks over the years that can help you achieve perfect results when making this homemade apricot BBQ sauce. Here are some of my top tips:
- For added flavor, sauté onions in a little bit of olive oil until caramelized before adding them to your homemade barbecue sauce mixture.
- Black pepper is a great addition to any barbecue sauce recipe. Use freshly ground black pepper for optimal flavor.
- When grilling chicken wings, use medium-high heat to ensure crispy skin and juicy meat. Baste them with your favorite homemade barbecue sauce in the last few minutes of grilling.
- Always season your meats with kosher salt before grilling. It enhances the natural flavors and creates a delicious crust.
- Pork ribs are a classic barbecue staple. For tender and flavorful ribs, slow-cook them on low heat for several hours and baste them with your tangy sauce mixture.
- If you like spicy sauce, mix hot sauce or Asian chili sauce into your homemade barbecue sauce. For a sweeter option, try adding sweet chili sauce or pineapple BBQ sauce.
- If you prefer a chunky sauce, use a potato masher instead of a food processor or immersion blender to mash your ingredients together.
- Blue cheese sauce is a classic pairing with spicy chicken wings. Mix crumbled blue cheese, sour cream, and a little bit of milk to create a creamy and tangy sauce.
- Apricot Dipping Sauce is a sweet and tangy sauce that pairs well with grilled meats or vegetables. Mix apricot preserves, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes for a flavorful sauce.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create your own signature sweet or spicy sauce.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your homemade apricot BBQ sauce turns out perfectly every time. So go ahead and give this simple recipe a try – your taste buds will thank you!
In conclusion, this homemade apricot BBQ sauce recipe is a simple yet delicious great way to elevate any dish. With its tangy and sweet flavors, this versatile sauce can be used in a variety of ways to add depth and complexity to your meals.
Whether you are grilling meats or vegetables, this sauce is the perfect addition to take your dish to the next level. And with its easy-to-follow recipe and simple ingredients, anyone can make it at home.
So why settle for store-bought BBQ sauce when you can make your own homemade version that is even better? With just a few simple steps, you can create a sauce that is bursting with natural flavors and perfect for any occasion.
So go ahead and give this apricot BBQ sauce recipe a try – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Homemade Apricot BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Large pot
- Food processor or immersion blender
- small bowl
- airtight container
- 1 cup apricot puree made from fresh or dried apricots
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves or jam
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pinch of salt
- In a large pot, combine the apricot puree, tomato paste, apricot preserves, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, chili powder, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened and reduced by about half.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Using a food processor or immersion blender, blend the sauce until it is smooth and all the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice, olive oil, liquid smoke, and pinch of salt.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container and let it cool to room temperature before using or storing.
- This homemade apricot BBQ sauce is a great addition to grilled meats like pork chops or chicken, or even grilled vegetables.
- You can use either fresh or dried apricots to make the apricot puree. If using dried apricots, soak them in warm water for about 10 minutes before blending to soften them.
- This sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- If you like a spicier sauce, increase the amount of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- This versatile sauce can be used as a marinade, glaze, or dipping sauce for an abundance of dishes.
- Don’t have a food processor or immersion blender? Mash the sauce with a potato masher for a chunky texture.
YOUR OWN NOTE
You’ll Love These Sauce Recipes
Get Saucy: A Quick and Easy Hennessy BBQ Sauce Recipe
J Willy’s BBQ Sauce Recipe: Easy Way To Spice Up Your Barbecue
Shara @The Bird BBQ
Shara loves to experiment with different flavors and techniques when it comes to BBQ. She has been perfecting her craft for years and loves hosting backyard BBQs with friends & family. She often comes up with creative recipes that her guests rave about.