Loosen your belts, folks, it’s time to dig in! I am excited to share with you my recipe for smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied. Whether you are a meat-eater, vegetarian or vegan, these sausages will not disappoint! Made with wholesome ingredients such as tahini, butter beans, pimientos, and garlic, these sausages are packed with flavor and protein. Trust me when I say this is the perfect Saturday night dinner to impress your family and friends.
But why choose vegetarian sausage over the classic pork sausage? Well, aside from being easy on the environment, this recipe is also meat-free, making it an excellent option for those who prefer plant-based meals. The smoked paprika adds a smoky aroma to the dish that will give you all of that savory flavor without the guilt. And, let’s not forget that these sausages are also vegan!
So get ready to indulge in the delectable marriage of butter beans and smoked peppers known as my smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausage recipe. It’s healthy, filling, and downright delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a hearty and delicious meal that’s completely meat-free? Look no further than these smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages! These sausages are not only incredibly easy to make, but they’re also packed full of flavor and nutrients.
Whether you follow a vegan diet or simply want to cut back on your meat intake, these sausages are the perfect addition to your cooking repertoire. Made with butter beans, pimientos, and a variety of spices like smoked paprika and cumin, these sausages are the epitome of smoky goodness.
But what really sets this recipe apart is the addition of tahini – a paste made from ground sesame seeds – which adds extra creaminess and depth of flavor. And if all that wasn’t enough, these veggie sausages are incredibly versatile – try them in a sausage casserole, chili baked butter beans, or even crumbled up in a salad.
So why will you love this recipe? Because it’s packed full of healthy ingredients and delicious flavors that will leave you satisfied without any of the guilt. Plus, it’s quick and easy to make – perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have time for a lengthy meal prep session. Trust us – once you try these smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages, you won’t be able to get enough!
The Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausages Recipe is a meat-free twist on a classic dish that will surely impress all the guests at your BBQ party. This recipe is packed with flavor thanks to its combination of smoked paprika, pimientos, garlic, and, of course, butter beans.
The Ingredients You Need
- 2 cans of butter beans
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
Note: You can substitute the butter beans for cannellini beans or even lima beans if you prefer.
All these ingredients are easily accessible in any grocery store. Most likely, you already have them in your pantry. The only special ingredient you might not have is the tahini, which can be found in the international foods aisle or at Middle Eastern food stores. In the next section, I will discuss step by step how to make these delicious vegetarian sausages.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s start making these smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages!
- 1 can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of tahini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp of breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of tomato sauce
- In a food processor, add the butter beans, red pepper, garlic, smoked paprika, tahini, salt and black pepper. Pulse until the mixture is well combined but still has texture.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, until the mixture can hold its shape. If it’s too sticky, add more breadcrumbs. If it’s too dry, add a bit of water or olive oil.
- Shape the mixture into sausages using your hands.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, fry the sausages for about 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and place them on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Add the tomato sauce to the same pan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Serve with your sausages.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages!
Substitutions and Variations
As with any recipe, there are always substitutions and variations you can make to fit your preferences. Let’s explore some of the possibilities for this Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausage recipe.
Firstly, if you don’t have butter beans on hand or prefer a different type of bean, cannellini beans or lima beans can be great alternatives. Both beans have a creamy texture and mild flavor, which makes them perfect additions to this dish.
If you prefer more spice, consider adding additional cayenne pepper to the sausage mixture or using spicy Italian sausage in place of the vegan variety. Additionally, for added smokiness and depth of flavor, try substituting smoked paprika for regular paprika in the chickpea-tomato mix component of the dish.
For those who love their veggies, consider adding more vegetables to the mix such as chopped kale or spinach. Sweet potatoes would also be a delicious addition in this recipe, either roasted separately or diced and simmered with the bean stew.
Finally, if you’re looking to switch things up completely, try turning this recipe into a baked bean casserole by layering sliced red peppers and baked butter beans with the sausage mixture on top.
Remember that these substitution options are only a starting point. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to find what works best for you. What’s important is that you enjoy your meal and get creative in the kitchen!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve prepared these delightful smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages, it’s time to think about pairing them with the perfect sides and accompaniments. For a classic BBQ experience, try serving them alongside some baked beans or a side of spicy chilli. The smoky flavor of the sausage pairs particularly well with the rich, tangy taste of baked beans, while the heat from the chilli complements the gentle spiciness of the sausages.
If you’re looking for something a little healthier, try serving your veggie sausages with a simple green salad. The fresh, crisp leaves provide a refreshing contrast to the smoky taste of the sausage, while also adding vital nutrition to your meal. You could also pair them with a roasted vegetable medley or some grilled corn on the cob for a satisfyingly hearty meal.
To add an extra layer of flavor, try drizzling some tahini or red pepper butter over your smoked veggie sausages. This will bring out their natural flavors even more and make them especially delicious. And if you’re looking for something to wash down your meal with, reach for a chilled beer or glass of white wine – perfect for sipping in the sunshine with friends and family.
No matter how you choose to serve them up, these butter bean and smoked pepper vegetarian sausages are sure to delight your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied all day long. So go ahead and get creative – there’s no wrong way to enjoy this delicious dish!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making these Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausages ahead of time is a great idea! Not only do they make an excellent meal, but they also work as a snack or appetizer to devour later. Simply refrigerate them until ready to eat.
When storing the sausages, place them in an airtight container, and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you want to freeze them for longer storage, allow the sausages to cool completely, then place them in a freezer-safe bag, label it accordingly and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating them is quick and easy! Preheat your oven at 350°F (177°C) and place the sausages on a baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they’re hot all the way through! Alternatively, heat up some oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the sausages and fry them for 3-4 minutes on each side until they become crispy on the outside.
This recipe is versatile and can be used to create other dishes such as vegan sausage chili or butter bean stew. Make larger batches at once so you could save time during busy weekdays by having pre-made meals stored in your fridge or freezer. These vegetarian sausages are perfect for meal prep and are always fantastic even after reheating!
Tips for Perfect Results
As an assistant for a BBQ chef, I know that having the right tips and tricks can make all the difference when it comes to cooking up something delicious. Here are some tips for perfect results when making these smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages:
1. Don’t skip the tahini: Tahini may seem like an optional ingredient in this recipe, but trust me, it’s not. The nutty flavor and creamy texture of tahini help to bind the sausage mixture together and create a more satisfying bite.
2. Use canned butter beans: While you can cook your own butter beans from scratch, using canned butter beans will save you a lot of time and effort. Make sure to drain and rinse them well before adding them to the mixture.
3. Add extra garlic: If you’re a garlic lover like me, consider adding an extra clove or two to the recipe. The garlicky flavor goes perfectly with the smoky paprika and sweet red pepper.
4. Cook the sausages low and slow: To get perfectly cooked sausages with a nice crust on the outside, you’ll want to cook them slowly over lower heat. This will give them time to cook through without burning or sticking to the pan.
5. Serve with something tangy: These sausages have a lot of smoky, savory flavors going on, so it’s nice to balance that out with something tangy on the side. Try serving them with a squeeze of lemon juice or a dollop of pickle relish.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create delicious and satisfying smoked pepper and butter bean vegetarian sausages every time. So go ahead and impress your friends and family with your meat-free BBQ skills!
This Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausages recipe is a must-try for all food lovers out there. Whether you’re vegetarian or not, this delicious recipe will have you wanting more. The combination of the smoky flavor from the peppers and paprika, and the creaminess of the butter beans, creates a magical taste that’s hard to resist.
Not only does this recipe taste amazing, but it’s also easy to make with simple ingredients. You can easily swap out some of the ingredients or add your own twist to it, depending on your preferences. It’s a versatile dish that’s perfect for any occasion – from lunch to dinner parties, or even a quick snack.
If you’re looking for a meat-free alternative that still packs a punch in flavor and texture, then this vegetarian sausage recipe is definitely for you. You won’t miss the meat at all! And if you’re not quite convinced yet, just give it a try – I guarantee that this dish will soon become one of your favorites.
In conclusion, cooking is an adventure, and experimenting with different flavors and textures is exciting. I highly recommend trying this recipe – it’s sure to impress both yourself and your guests. Remember, you don’t have to be vegetarian to enjoy these sausages – they’re so delicious that even your meat-loving friends will be asking for seconds! So go ahead and try making this amazing Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausages recipe today!
Smoked Pepper and Butter Bean Vegetarian Sausages Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic, cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons pimientos (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 (410 g) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 -4 tablespoons tahini
- 75 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for shallow frying
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the diced peppers over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pimenton and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place the butter beans in a large bowl and mash roughly.
- Add the cooled pepper mixture along with the tahini and white bread crumbs, season well and then combine thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into eight balls and using wet hands, roll each into a sausage measuring about 10cm long.
- Clean the frying pan, pour in 1cm of sunflower oil and place over a moderate heat.
- Add the sausages and cook for 10 minutes, turning often, until heated through and golden brown (you may need to do this in batches).
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with green beans.
YOUR OWN NOTE
You’ll Love These Delicious BBQ Recipes
Shara @The Bird BBQ
Shara loves to experiment with different flavors and techniques when it comes to BBQ. She has been perfecting her craft for years and loves hosting backyard BBQs with friends & family. She often comes up with creative recipes that her guests rave about.