There’s nothing like the smell of a perfectly smoked tomato. The aroma fills the air with a smoky, rich scent that makes your mouth water. As a BBQ chef, I love experimenting with new flavors and ways to incorporate them into my dishes. That’s why I was thrilled when I created this recipe for Smoked Tomato Sandwiches With Goat Cheese and Basil.
The combination of ingredients in this recipe is truly a match made in heaven. The juicy, smoky tomatoes lend themselves perfectly to the creamy, tangy goat cheese while the fresh basil adds just the right amount of herbaceousness. And let’s not forget about the bread – slices of Italian bread cut 1-2 inches thick and brushed with olive oil before being grilled until crispy and golden brown.
This recipe is perfect for lunch or a light dinner and is sure to impress anyone who tries it. Don’t be fooled by its simplicity; each ingredient plays an essential role in making this sandwich a true standout. So fire up your smoker, grab some fresh tomatoes, and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You may be thinking, “Another sandwich recipe? What could possibly make this one different or special?” But trust me on this – once you sink your teeth into these smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil, you won’t regret giving them a shot.
For starters, the smoked tomatoes add a depth of flavor that regular tomatoes just can’t match. The smokiness complements the sweetness of the tomatoes and creates a unique taste experience that will make your taste buds dance.
And let’s talk about that goat cheese. It adds a tangy creaminess that perfectly balances out the smoky sweetness of the tomatoes. Plus, when paired with the fresh basil leaves, it creates an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
This recipe is also incredibly versatile – you can enjoy it as a light lunch, cut into bite-sized pieces for appetizers, or even pair it with grilled chicken for a heartier meal. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some pesto or sun-dried tomato to really take it up a notch.
In short, if you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe that packs a punch when it comes to flavor and versatility, look no further than these smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil. Your taste buds will thank you.
Ingredients you will need
- 4 slices Italian bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil spray for spraying bread
- 4 oz goat cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Optional Ingredients for Smoked Tomato Sandwiches
- Tomato Jam: For those who want their sandwich a little sweeter, add some tomato jam or relish.
- Grilled Chicken: Adding a piece of grilled chicken is perfect for those looking to add more protein.
- Heirloom Tomato: The best tomatoes to use are heirloom tomatoes. They provide a unique flavor and also provide a lot of juice when roasted.
- Smoked Cheese: Swap out regular goat cheese for smoked goat cheese to intensify the smoky flavor of this sandwich.
Fresh herbs and Spices
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh-ground black pepper
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all of your ingredients prepared, it’s time to start making this delicious smoked tomato sandwich with goat cheese and basil! Follow these simple steps to whip up the perfect summer meal.
Step 1: Preheat Your Oven
First, preheat your oven to 400°F. This will help you roast the tomatoes perfectly for an extra smoky flavor.
Step 2: Roast the Tomatoes
Next, take 2 large tomatoes, peel them and cut them into 1/2-inch slices. Brush each slice with some olive oil and sprinkle some salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until they are tender and slightly charred.
Step 3: Make the Garlic Herbed Goat Cheese Spread
While your tomatoes are roasting, mix 4 oz. of goat cheese softened, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, and a pinch of salt and black pepper in a bowl until soft and creamy.
Step 4: Toast the Bread
Take 4 slices of Italian bread cut 1/2- inch thick and brush both sides with some olive oil. Place on baking sheet sprayed with oil-spray and toast them for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Step 5: Assemble the Smoked Tomato Sandwiches
Once your bread slices are ready, spread each slice with a generous amount of your garlic herbed goat cheese spread. On one slice of bread, add a few roasted tomato slices, followed by a handful of fresh basil leaves. Cover with another slice of bread that has been spread with garlic herbed goat cheese. Repeat this process for the other sandwich.
Step 6: Grilling Option
You can also opt to grill these sandwiches for an even richer flavor! Follow these steps below:
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Open-face each goat cheese-tomato bread/grilled bread.
- Place on grill pan, grill-side down and grill until slightly charred.
- Remove from heat.
- Add basil leaf onto one slice then combine them together.
- Repeat this step for the remaining sandwich.
That’s it! You now have a perfect lunch or dinner option that pairs perfectly with any summer day!
Next up is kitchen substitution tips so keep reading!
Substitutions and Variations
If you are looking to make some changes to this recipe or don’t have all the ingredients readily available, here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
1. Cheese: If you’re not a fan of goat cheese, try using feta or ricotta cheese instead. For a vegan option, consider using a vegan cheese alternative.
2. Bread: Instead of Italian bread, you can use sourdough bread or your preferred bread for this recipe. You can also try using gluten-free bread.
3. Tomato: While smoked tomatoes work best for this recipe, roasted or sun-dried tomatoes can be a great substitute if you don’t have access to smoked tomatoes.
4. Basil: If basil is not your thing, experiment with other fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme, or cilantro.
5. Spread: To add some extra flavor to your sandwiches, you can replace the mayonnaise with pesto, tomato jam, or hummus.
6. Protein: For an added protein boost, try adding grilled chicken or smoked salmon to your sandwich.
7. Vegetarian option: Skip the meat and try adding some grilled vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms or bell peppers instead.
By making these substitutions and variations to the recipe, you can create a customized sandwich that suits your taste buds and dietary restrictions. So feel free to get creative and explore different ingredient combinations until you find the perfect match for you!
Serving and Pairing
The smoked tomato sandwich with goat cheese and basil is a perfect summer lunch, and it pairs well with various sides and beverages. You can serve it with a crisp green salad or some vegetable chips to add some texture to the dish. It goes excellently with light refreshing drinks like lemonade or a cold glass of white wine.
For a hearty breakfast, pair the sandwich with scrambled eggs, baked beans, or grilled chicken. The subtle smokiness of the tomatoes pairs well with the richness of the eggs, creamy goat cheese, and fresh basil.
If you’re looking for something to serve to guests, consider offering a platter of the sandwiches alongside other appetizers like bruschetta, caprese skewers, or hummus and pita chips. The medley of flavors in these food recipes meld together beautifully for your guests.
However you decide to serve it up, this sandwich is sure to be a hit. Enjoy it as an indulgent snack or part of your meal; I guarantee that its rustic charm will make your day complete.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
The Smoked Tomato Sandwiches with Goat Cheese and Basil recipe is perfect for meal planning because you can make them ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer. The sandwiches can be prepared up to a day before serving, making this recipe an excellent option for busy weeknights or entertaining guests.
To make-ahead the sandwiches, prepare them as directed and allow them to cool completely. Then wrap each sandwich tightly with plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
If you want to store the sandwiches for longer than a day, I recommend storing the components separately. Keep the roasted tomatoes, herbed goat cheese spread and sliced bread in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
For reheating, preheat your oven to 350° F (175°C) and remove the plastic wrap from the sandwich. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the sandwich in a panini press or toaster oven until toasted and warm.
Just remember that if you decide to freeze these sandwiches, do not add fresh basil leaves since they will turn black when frozen. Instead, add chopped basil after thawing when serving. These sandwiches are perfect for meal prepping lunches or dinners during weekdays since they’re quick and easy to reheat in advance.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the best possible outcome when making these smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil, there are a few tips that you should keep in mind.
Firstly, it’s important to use fresh and high-quality ingredients. The flavor of the dish is heavily influenced by the quality of the ingredients used. So try to source the freshest and juiciest tomatoes you can find, along with a good-quality goat cheese and fresh herbs.
Another important factor is to be patient during the smoking process. Smoking tomatoes can take a bit of time but it’s totally worth it for that amazing smoky flavor. And remember to check the temperature regularly as it is important to maintain a constant temperature throughout the smoking process.
It’s also recommended that you use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of your food reaches a safe level.
Finally, when assembling the sandwiches, make sure you spread the goat cheese evenly across each slice of bread so that every bite has an equal amount of flavor. And don’t forget to season your smoked tomatoes with salt and fresh ground black pepper before assembling your sandwich.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to create mouthwatering smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil that are sure to impress!
If you’re a fan of smoky flavors, then you should definitely try out these smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil. The unique combination of flavors in this recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting more!
Not only are these sandwiches delicious, but they’re also incredibly versatile. You can switch up the ingredients or add your own twists to create your perfect sandwich. And with the helpful tips and instructions provided in this article, you’ll be able to make the perfect smoked tomato sandwich every time.
So why not give this recipe a try? It’s easy to make and packed full of flavor. Impress your friends and family with this unique and tasty twist on the classic sandwich. And who knows, it might just become your new favorite go-to recipe!
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a way to spice up your sandwich game, give these smoked tomato sandwiches with goat cheese and basil a try. With their dynamic blend of flavors and ease of preparation, they’re sure to be a crowd pleaser. Happy cooking!
Smoked Tomato Sandwiches With Goat Cheese and Basil Recipe
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 slices Italian bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- olive oil spray for spraying bread
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices goat cheese, cut 1/4-inch thick (about 3 ounces or blue cheese)
- Sprinkle tomatoes with rosemary and garlic.
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill or traditional smoker for Indirect smoking on Low Heat. Use one layer charcoal for smoker and place food on top grate. For best results for this recipe, use hickory or mesquite wood chips or chunks.
- Place tomatoes on cooking grate cut side up of fully smoking grill or smoker. Smoke 30 minutes to 90 minutes over charcoal or 10 to 12 minutes over gas; remove. Chill tomatoes in refrigerator and drain.
- Meanwhile, spray bread with olive oil. Place bread oil side down on cooking grate. Grill Directly 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted; remove.
- Spread toasted side of each bread slice with mayonnaise; sprinkle with equal amounts of basil. Remove skn which ill just fall away. Cut each 1/2 tomato into 2 slices; place 2 tomato slices over basil on each bread slice. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper. Top each sandwich with 2 slices of goat cheese.
YOUR OWN NOTE
You’ll Love These Delicious BBQ Recipes
Shara @The Bird BBQ
Shara loves to experiment with different flavors and techniques when it comes to BBQ. She has been perfecting her craft for years and loves hosting backyard BBQs with friends & family. She often comes up with creative recipes that her guests rave about.