The smell of a freshly smoked salmon wafts through the air. The aroma of sweet honey and smoky spices fills the kitchen as it slowly roasts in a low-temperature oven. It’s an unforgettable experience, one that can bring people together to enjoy a delicious meal. If you’re looking for a unique way to cook up some salmon, then you’ve come to the right place! This honey smoked salmon recipe is sure to tantalize your taste buds and create a memorable culinary experience for everyone involved.
This recipe combines the sweetness of honey with the savory flavors of smoked salmon. Not only does it make for an incredibly flavorful dish, but it’s also quite simple to make. All you need is some fresh salmon fillets, liquid smoke, honey, and any other seasonings or herbs you’d like to add for extra flavor. With just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, this honey smoked salmon will be ready in no time!
If you’re looking for something special, then this honey smoked salmon recipe is perfect for you. You’ll love its succulent texture, rich flavor, and irresistible aroma that will fill your home with delightful smells. Whether it’s served as an appetizer or part of a main course meal, this dish is sure to impress all who try it!
Why You’ll Love This Honey Smoked Salmon Recipe
“The best things in life are worth the wait”—this adage applies so well to this honey smoked salmon recipe. It’s a delicious take on cold smoked salmon, with the added sweetness of hot honey and lemon juice. The perfect combination of these ingredients creates an unforgettable flavor that will have you smacking your lips with delight!
This salmon recipe is made with wild-caught salmon and a special honey mixture to give it a sweet and smoky taste. Smoked over Alder wood, the fish absorbs all the delicious smoke flavor from the wood and the honey mixture. The result is a flavorful dish that pairs perfectly with the lemon juice and hot honey glaze.
It’s no wonder that this is one of the best honey recipes out there! With its tender, juicy texture and sweet, smoky flavor, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser. Whether you’re serving it as an entrée or an appetizer, this honey smoked salmon recipe is sure to leave everyone wanting more!
This honey smoked salmon recipe requires a few simple ingredients. To start, you’ll need one Atlantic salmon fillet. You can either use fresh or frozen salmon – whichever you prefer. Additionally, you’ll need cream cheese, wood chips, and a dry brine of kosher salt and other spices.
Next, mix your dry brine and rub it all over the salmon fillet. Place the fish in an airtight container and leave it to marinate overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, take out your salmon and prepare the honey glaze according to the recipe instructions.
Once everything is prepared, heat up your smoker and add in your wood chips for flavoring. Put your salmon fillet on the smoker rack and brush it with your honey glaze every 30 minutes until cooked through (about 2 hours). When done, serve your delicious honey smoked salmon with some of its juices poured on top!
The Recipe How-To
To begin, prepare all the necessary ingredients in advance. This includes one salmon filet, two garlic cloves, two tablespoons of dark brown sugar and some fresh ground pepper. Once all the ingredients are gathered together, place them in a large bowl and mix to combine.
Next, it’s time to smoke the salmon. For best results, use a Traeger smoker with hot smoking settings. Place the salmon filet on the grill grate and cook for approximately 25 minutes or until cooked through. Afterward, transfer the fish to a glass container and let cool before serving.
Finally, enjoy your delicious honey smoked salmon! Serve with your favorite side dishes or eat as is for an easy meal that packs lots of flavor.
Substitutions And Variations
If you want to make a delicious salmon dip, try adding cream cheese and maple syrup. Or if you’d prefer to cook with raw salmon, there are plenty of options.
Using hickory wood chips is a great way to fire-cook king salmon for a smoky flavor. However, be sure to remove any pin bones before cooking. Keep in mind that the temperature of your grill will affect how quickly your fish cooks.
If using a sheet pan and cooling rack is more your style, that works too! Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly depending on the thickness of your salmon fillet. And don’t forget – basting with honey during cooking can help create an irresistible glaze!
Serving and Pairing Suggestions
Did you know that the average salmon cooks in just 12 minutes? That’s why it’s one of the most popular fish dishes around the world. Hot smoked salmon is an especially delicious way to enjoy this delicious fish. With a few simple steps, you can make restaurant-level hot smoked salmon right at home!
If you’re looking for a simple recipe to use, start by using a good salmon fillet. You’ll want to season the outside of the salmon with a good salmon brine and let it sit for some time – this helps with the curing process. Then, place it on a wire rack placed on top of a cookie sheet and bake it in your oven. To get an evenly cooked fish, make sure that your entire fillet is covered in the brine before cooking.
When your hot smoked salmon is done cooking, plate it up and enjoy! Serve with your favorite sides like potatoes or vegetables for a truly restaurant-level experience. This easy recipe will have you enjoying delicious hot smoked salmon in no time!
Storing And Freezing Options
One great way to store it is by wrapping it in plastic wrap, or putting it in a plastic bag. If you’re using sockeye salmon, adding some orange juice can help keep the surface of the fish moist.
When cooking the salmon, you need to check the internal temperature so it cooks properly. It’s best to use a salt mixture on the fish before cooking and use indirect heat like baking it on a baking sheet. This will help keep the moisture locked in while keeping the flavor intact.
By following these tips, you can make sure that your honey smoked salmon is safe and tasty every time. With proper storage techniques, you can enjoy this delicious dish anytime!
Gone are the days of relying solely on the natural flavor of the fish to deliver an amazing meal. Chef’s tips on preparing honey smoked salmon can take your meal to a whole new level of deliciousness – without spending extra cost or time! Whether you’re looking for a five-star rating or just want some mouth-watering goodness, these expert tips will get you there.
- Choose the right wood: The wood of choice can greatly affect the flavor of your smoked salmon. Consider using fruit wood such as apple, cherry or cedar. Use wood chunks rather than chips to provide a longer-lasting smoke.
- Prepare the salmon: Before cooking, rinse the salmon pieces in cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. This will remove any unwanted flavors and will allow the salmon to better absorb the honey glaze.
- Opt for wild salmon: Wild salmon has a higher fat content, which can result in a more delicious and flavorful smoked salmon. Consider using sockeye salmon for its high Omega-3 fatty acids content.
- Brine the salmon: Brining the salmon can add flavor and keep it moist. To make a simple brine, mix 1 cup honey, 1 cup water, and 1/4 cup kosher salt. Submerge the salmon in the brine for 2-4 hours.
- Use a meat thermometer: Ensure that your salmon is fully cooked by checking its internal temperature with a meat thermometer. The recommended internal temperature for salmon is 145°F.
- Experiment with grilling methods: Consider using a charcoal grill, pellet grill, or electric smoker to smoke your salmon. Experiment with different grilling methods to find the perfect balance of heat and smoke.
- Try a salmon glaze: Adding a glaze to your salmon before grilling can add a delicious crust and enhance its flavor. Mix 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 cup dark brown sugar for a sweet and salty flavor.
- Place the salmon skin side down: When grilling, place the salmon skin side down to prevent it from sticking to the grates. This also allows the skin to act as a barrier, helping to keep the salmon moist.
- Consider a salmon charcuterie board: For a dinner option, consider serving your honey smoked salmon on a charcuterie board along with crackers, cheese, and fresh fruit.
- Don’t forget to check the grill temperature: Maintaining a consistent grill temperature is key to ensuring that your salmon cooks evenly. Check the grill temperature regularly to ensure that it stays in the medium heat range.
Remember to follow the recipe card for best results and feel free to experiment to create your own delicious smoked salmon. You can find more recipes and affiliate links for your favorite ways of cooking salmon at the grocery store or online. Don’t be afraid to try something new and have fun!
I’m sure you can already tell why this honey smoked salmon recipe is so amazing. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and customize to your own preferences. Plus, it’s a great way to serve up a restaurant-style dish at home.
Statistics show that people who eat fish regularly have an average of 10% higher intake of essential nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins D and B12 than those who don’t eat fish. So not only will you be making something delicious when you try out this honey smoked salmon recipe, but you’ll also be giving your body some important nutrients as well!
If you’re looking for a tasty seafood dish that’s sure to impress, give this honey smoked salmon recipe a try. You won’t regret it! Now I’m off to go make myself some – wish me luck!
Honey Smoked Salmon Recipe
- Paper towels
- small bowl
- Basting brush
- Large bowl
- airtight container
- Plastic wrap
- Wire rack
- Cookie sheet
- Cooling rack
- Sheet pan
- Traeger Smoker (optional)
- 1 salmon fillet Atlantic or Sockeye
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Wood chips Alder or Hickory
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse the salmon fillet and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of kosher salt to make a dry brine.
- Rub the dry brine all over the salmon fillet, making sure to cover the entire fillet.
- Place the salmon fillet skin side down in an airtight container.
- Cover the container with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or up to overnight.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, 2 tbsp of maple syrup, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 2 tbsp of dark brown sugar.
- Preheat the grill to low heat (250-300°F).
- Soak the wood chips in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the salmon fillet on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet or a sheet pan.
- Brush the honey mixture on the surface of the salmon.
- Place the wood chips on the grill grates and place the salmon fillet on the grill grates away from direct heat.
- Cover the grill and smoke the salmon for 3-4 hours or until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 145°F.
- Baste the salmon with the honey mixture every 30 minutes.
- Once the salmon is cooked, remove from the grill and place on a cooling rack.
- Serve the salmon warm with a dipping sauce of your choice.
A dry brine is optional but it adds extra flavor to the salmon.
If you do not have a Traeger Smoker, a regular grill will work just fine, but the results may vary.
You can use other types of wood chips such as hickory or maple for a different flavor, but alder wood is the best option for a sweet and mild smoke flavor.
This recipe is customizable based on your personal preference, so feel free to add more or less honey, lemon juice, or maple syrup.
This recipe is an affiliate link to one of our delicious recipes, but feel free to use your favorite ways to smoke salmon.