Are you looking for a quick and delicious way to make grilled chicken without firing up the grill? Then keep reading, because I have just the recipe for you. This microwave grilled chicken recipe will save you time and leave your taste buds satisfied.
With just a few simple steps, you can have tender and juicy grilled chicken in less than 10 minutes. Yes, you read that right, less than 10 minutes! Plus, unlike grilling outdoors on a hot summer day, this recipe won’t leave you sweating or dealing with charcoal cleanup.
This recipe is perfect for busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table fast. It’s also a great option for those who don’t have access to outdoor grilling equipment or simply prefer to cook indoors.
So fire up your microwave oven and let’s get ready to make some delicious grilled chicken in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re like me, time is always of the essence when it comes to meal prep. That’s why I think you’ll love this recipe for microwave grilled chicken.
First of all, the cooking time is incredibly quick – only 6-7 minutes per chicken breast on high heat in the microwave. Not only does this save you time, but it also means you can make grilled chicken any time of the year, even if you don’t have access to an outdoor grill or a grill pan.
But just because it’s quick doesn’t mean it sacrifices flavor or texture. In fact, the secret to this recipe is the use of a microwave-safe dish and plastic wrap to lock in moisture and steam cook the chicken pieces. The results are juicy and tender chicken that tastes like it was cooked on a traditional grill.
Another reason you’ll love this recipe is its versatility. You can make classic grilled chicken with just salt and pepper, or try out different flavor profiles by using Indian-style spices to make tandoori chicken or brushing on barbecue sauce for a summer cookout vibe.
And let’s not forget about the convenience factor. With microwave grilled chicken, you can use boneless or bone-in chicken pieces straight from the freezer. No more waiting for them to thaw out or worrying about having fully cooked meat.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a quick yet satisfying meal on the table. I guarantee that once you try it, you’ll be convinced that microwave grilled chicken is just as good – if not better – than traditional grilled chicken.
Before we head over to the recipe itself, let’s have a look at what you’ll need to make this microwave grilled chicken. The ingredient list is short, sweet, and to the point.
Here’s What You Need:
- Chicken breast or thigh (boneless)
- Plastic wrap
- Microwave-safe dish
- 2 tablespoons of chicken broth or water
- Grill pan (or an oven grill)
- Olive oil
As you can see, these are all basic pantry ingredients that you should already have on hand. If you’re missing an item or want to make substitutions, we’ll cover that in section (5) Substitutions and Variations.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prep the Chicken
The first step to making microwave grilled chicken is to prep your chicken pieces. You can use any boneless chicken pieces, such as thighs, breasts, wings, or even chicken tenders.
Arrange the chicken breast on a microwave-safe dish or plate in a single layer. Add 2 tablespoons of chicken broth or water to the bottom of the pie plate to make sure that the chicken does not dry out during cooking.
Step 2: Season Your Chicken
For Indian-style grill chicken, add yogurt and tandoori spice mix to your chicken. For BBQ chicken, brush your chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Cover the Chicken
Cover the microwave-safe dish or plate with plastic wrap. It is best to use microwave-safe plastic wrap because it will not melt during cooking. Make sure that you cover all sides of the plate or dish so that the steam does not escape.
Step 4: Cook in Microwave Oven
Place the covered dish or plate in the microwave oven on high power for 6-7 minutes per side, depending on how thick your chicken is. For a thinner cut like tenders or strips, 4-5 minutes per side should be enough.
Step 5: Check Internal Temperature
Use a meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature has reached at least 165°F before enjoying your tender and flavorful microwave grilled chicken!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the great things about this recipe is how customizable it is. Here are some suggestions for substitutions and variations:
– Chicken pieces: If you don’t have chicken breast on hand, you can use chicken thigh meat or even chicken tenders. However, cooking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of the pieces.
– Frozen chicken: You can use frozen chicken, but make sure it is fully defrosted before cooking. It’s best to defrost chicken in the refrigerator overnight, but you can also speed up the process by placing it in a bowl of cold water.
– Grill pan: If you prefer a more charred and grill-marked appearance, you can use a grill pan instead of a microwave safe dish. Heat the grill pan over medium-high heat and brush with oil before adding the chicken pieces.
– Indian-style grill: To add some spice to your microwave grilled chicken, try using an Indian-style rub or marinade. Tandoori chicken is a classic example, using a mixture of yogurt and spices like cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Marinate the chicken for at least an hour before cooking for maximum flavor.
– BBQ chicken: For a classic American-style flavor, brush the chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce before microwaving. The high heat will caramelize the sauce, creating a sweet and tangy glaze.
– Added veggies: Mix things up by adding some veggies to your microwave safe dish along with the chicken. Try sliced onions and bell peppers for a colorful addition.
– Cooking tips: Increase or decrease cooking time depending on your preference of how well-done you like your meat. If using bone-in pieces or wings, be sure to adjust cooking time accordingly; it may take longer than boneless pieces.
Experimenting with different flavors and methods will help you find your perfect microwave grilled chicken recipe.
Serving and Pairing
Now that your delicious microwave-grilled chicken is ready, it’s time to think about how to serve and pair it. You can add a variety of sides and dips to create a full meal.
Firstly, grilled chicken breasts arranged on a plate look fantastic and are perfect for serving with any type of salad, steamed vegetables or cooked grain like quinoa or rice. You can also shred the chicken and mix it with mayonnaise, diced celery, onion and mustard for a classic chicken salad sandwich filling.
If you’re looking for a more flavorful pairing, consider serving the chicken with Indian-style dishes like naan bread, basmati rice or cucumber raita. For a BBQ chicken flavor, combine the grilled chicken with baked beans, coleslaw or corn on the cob.
In addition to side dishes, there are many sauces and dips that would be ideal to serve alongside the grilled chicken. Consider brushing on some BBQ sauce for a smoky flavor or using hot sauce for an extra kick. If you’re looking for something creamier, mix together some ranch dressing or tzatziki.
To top it off, don’t forget to grab a refreshing beverage that will complement the flavors of your meal. This can range from traditional sodas, iced tea or lemonade to boozy options like beer and wine.
By pairing your microwave-grilled chicken with complementary sides and dips while considering each guest’s dietary preferences, you’ll elevate your dish into an unforgettable meal that everyone will enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you have prepared your microwave grilled chicken, you may be left with leftovers or would like to make it ahead of time. This recipe can be easily made ahead of time and stored for later use.
To store your leftover chicken, let it cool down and then transfer the chicken pieces into an airtight container or a ziplock bag. The chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating the chicken, remove it from the container and place it onto a microwave-safe dish. You can then heat it up in the microwave oven for about 1-2 minutes until the chicken is heated all the way through.
If you prefer the grilled texture, you can reheat it on a grill pan over medium heat until heated through. To maintain flavor and moisture, brush some oil over the chicken pieces before reheating.
One thing to remember when reheating this dish is that it cooks quickly and overcooking may result in a dry and tough texture of chicken. It is recommended to cook each piece for 20-30 seconds on high power in the microwave oven, flipping it halfway through to ensure even heating.
Overall, making this dish ahead of time and reheating is simple and easy while still maintaining its delicious taste.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the best outcome for your microwave grilled chicken, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use a Microwave Safe Dish: This is crucial when using the microwave to grill chicken. The wrong container can overheat and cause damage to your microwave or even start a fire. Make sure to use a dish that is labeled as “microwave safe.”
2. Cover Your Chicken with Plastic Wrap: To ensure that your chicken remains tender and moist, cover it with plastic wrap while microwaving. This allows the steam to circulate around the chicken and lock in moisture.
3. Add Broth or Water at the Bottom of the Dish: Another trick to keep your chicken juicy is to add some broth or water to the bottom of the microwavable dish before placing your chicken on top. This will create a moist environment for cooking.
4. Be Mindful of Cooking Time: Overcooking can cause your chicken to become tough and dry. Depending on the size of your chicken pieces, it’s best to cook them for no more than 6-7 minutes per piece on high heat.
5. Use Boneless Chicken Pieces: When microwaving chicken, it’s best to use boneless pieces such as breast or thigh. These cuts cook quickly and evenly.
6. Brush Oil Before Microwaving: If you’re aiming for a crispy skin, consider brushing oil on the chicken before microwaving it.
7. Let Your Chicken Rest: After removing your microwaved chicken from the dish, let it rest for a few minutes before serving or cutting into it. This allows the juices to distribute evenly throughout each piece.
Remember that these tips are meant as guidelines but feel free to adjust them according to your preferences and cooking conditions. With these tricks in mind, you’ll have perfectly juicy and delicious microwave-grilled chicken ready in no time!
As our recipe for microwave-grilled chicken is an unconventional way of cooking chicken, you might have a few questions and concerns. In this section, we aim to answer some of the frequently asked questions by our readers, as they give a better understanding of how the recipe works and how to achieve perfect results without compromising on taste. Let’s dive in!
How do you grill chicken in a microwave?
When it comes to heating up your grilled chicken in the microwave, timing is everything. For a single breast weighing around 4 oz., start by setting your microwave at high for 20 seconds. Don’t forget to flip the chicken over and give it another 20 seconds, even if your microwave has a turntable. Once done, check if the chicken has been completely heated up. Keep in mind that microwaves may vary, so adjust the time accordingly to ensure that your chicken is heated through without being overdone.
Can you grill raw chicken in microwave?
To cook the chicken breast, you’ll need to place it in a pie plate first. Next, pour in 2 tablespoons of chicken broth or water into the bottom of the plate. Cover the plate with plastic wrap, and make sure to pierce a couple of holes in the wrap to let steam escape. Microwave the chicken on medium power for roughly 15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
Which mode is best for chicken in microwave?
Alright, so for the first step, we want to set our cooking mode to combination-2 and let the chicken cook for 10 minutes. Remember to flip those pieces over halfway through the cooking time. Next up, we’ll baste the chicken with some butter and get it ready for grilling. We’ll be grilling it for a total of 20 minutes, gently moving the pieces around every 6-7 minutes to ensure they cook evenly.
How do you grill meat in the microwave?
To begin, lay the meat onto the grill pan and cover it with a lid if available. If your grill pan lacks a cover, flip the steaks halfway through the cooking process. Cook the meat in the microwave on high power for 5 minutes to achieve a rare steak, 6-7 minutes for medium, and 9 minutes for a well-done finish.
In conclusion, the microwave grilled chicken recipe we have presented is an easy, quick, and convenient way to prepare delicious chicken with minimal effort. It is perfect for anyone who is short on time or does not have access to a grill. As you can see, with the right ingredients, technique and cooking time a perfectly grilled chicken can be made in a microwave oven.
We hope that our article has convinced you to try this recipe for yourself. With the ingredient list and instructions provided, you’ll have everything you need to create a delicious meal in just a matter of minutes. We encourage you to experiment with different spices, marinades and sauces to create your own unique flavors and variations.
Finally, we would like to remind you that when cooking raw chicken always follow food safety guidelines to prevent any instances of food poisoning. Use high-quality ingredients, avoid cross-contamination and cook your chicken thoroughly.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and the convenience it brings. Happy cooking!
Microwave Grilled Chicken Cooking Method Recipe
- 1 lb bone in chicken piece
- marinade, of choice (I use chiavetta’s ..a buffalo favorite… and sometimes mesquite flavor envelope making as directed)
- Marinade chick pieces for several hours or overnight. Place in microwave safe dish and microwave 100% power for 6 minutes per pound laying skin side down and covered with wax paper. turn once. Proceed to grill on preheated medium grill for 5 minutes per side.
YOUR OWN NOTE
You’ll Love These Delicious BBQ Recipes
Shara @The Bird BBQ
Shara loves to experiment with different flavors and techniques when it comes to BBQ. She has been perfecting her craft for years and loves hosting backyard BBQs with friends & family. She often comes up with creative recipes that her guests rave about.